Key facts about HIV worldwide
37.9 million people live with HIV worldwide
- 1.7 million are children under the age of 15
- 1.7 million are newly infected in 2018.
- 160,000 children become infected with HIV in 2018
- So far, 32 million people have died from HIV / AIDS related causes
- 770,000 people died in 2018.
- More than 50% of people living with HIV received anti-retroviral therapy (ART).
Cumulative data for North Macedonia, 1987-2019
- Since 1987, 460 cases of HIV have been registered
- 404 (88%) are male and 56 (12%) are female
- 104 people died of HIV-related causes
Transmission of HIV
- 56% of cases are MSM (men having sex with a man),
- Heterosexual transmission is reported in 36% of cases.
- People who inject drugs account for 2.5%.
- Six cases have been reported in people with hemophilia (last 15 years ago) and mother-to-child transmission.
Distribution by age groups
- 64% of people living with HIV in North Macedonia are aged 20-39
HIV status in North Macedonia in 2019
- 57 new HIV cases have been reported, of which 55 are male
- The average age of new cases is 34 years (from 19 to 64 years)
- 44 persons or 77% are aged 20 to 39 years
- 9 cases are aged 40-49 years, one is 19 years old and 3 are older than 50 years
- 70% of cases are men having sex with men (MSM)
- 28% of people reported heterosexual transmission
- 27 cases have their place of residence in Skopje
- 30 cases are registered from 12 other cities.
Distribution of cases by CPH
|Place of residence by health region||2019 – number||2019 – Incidence/100.000||Total||Cumulative incidence/100.000|
2019 HIV Prevention Results – Communities Make the Difference!
Public Health Centers
- 700 people received free and confidential HIV testing
- 150 educational sessions were held in schools and collectives
Stage of HIV-associated immune deficiency at diagnosis
- In 2019. only 34% of HIV + cases are timely diagnosed!
- 66% of HIV + cases in 2019 are diagnosed late (10% over 2018).
- In addition, 22% are diagnosed with a serious immune deficiency (CD4 below 200).